(These tests must be performed before a Counselor who is a Certified Water Safety Instructor of the Philippine National Red Cross or who holds an Aquatic School Certificate of the Boy Scouts of the Philippines for Life Saving)
- Earn the Swimming Merit Badge.
- Do the following:
- Spend at least six hours in preparing and practicing lifesaving skills
- Surface dive into open water, 2 to 3 meters deep, recovering various objects three times and a 5-kilo weight once.
- Show the following:
- For two times, remove your street clothes in 30 seconds or less. (Street clothes means socks, shoes, trousers, barong/shirt/sweatshirt).
- The correct approach to a drowning person who is in the following positions:
- Back to Scout - Back Approach
- Face to Scout with head above water - Underwater Approach
- With the help of a buddy and a subject, show the following rope rescue (reel-in rescue) both as line tender and as rescuer:
- As rescuer - carrying the looped end of a rope 20 meters long, ½-centimeter in diameter across your shoulder and chest, make a running or leaping entry into the water, swim 20 meters to struggling subject, and tow him ashore with the rope
- As line tender - chain know rescue line. Tie and place loop around rescuer's shoulder, pay out rope and pull rescuer and subject ashore
- Keeping in sight a struggling person, enter the water feet first and -
- Swim 10 meters, make correct approach, and tow victim 10 meters to shore with cross-chest carry
- Swim 10 meters, make correct approach, and tow victim 10 meters to shore with hair carry
- Swim 10 meters, make correct approach, and tow victim 10 meters to shore with collar or wrist carry
- Swim 10 meters, make correct approach to a tired swimmer, carry and push him 10 meters to shore
- Do the following:
- In water at least two meters deep, show how to block effectively and avoid the attempts of a struggling person to grasp you around the neck with right arm and with both arms. In each case, show how to tow him ashore
- In water at least two meters deep, show how to disengage yourself from any of the following grasps:
- Front head hold
- Rear head hold
- Arms around the body, at the front, below the armpit
- Arms around the body from back
- Demonstrate resuscitation for two minutes using the mouth-to-mouth method with external cardiac massage.