Printed from the Merit Badge Center, Philippines - http://www.meritbadge.org.ph/
- Tell how insects are different from all other animals. Show the differences between insects, spiders, and centipedes.
- Point out and name the main parts of an insect.
- Collect and mount fifteen (15) different species. Label each one with common and scientific names where possible. Show your collection your Troop or Patrol.
- Tell something about the histories and habits of the fifteen insects collected - where each is likely to be found, what it eats, the different stages of its life; how it sees, hears, smells, feels; and with what plants, animals, birds, and other insects it is associated.
- Tell how insects fit in the food chains of other insects, fish, birds, and mammals.
- From your insect collection, identify:
- Five (5) species of insects helpful to man. Tell how they are helpful.
- Five (5) species of insects harmful to man. Tell how they are harmful.
- Tell things that make social insects different from solitary insects.
- Compare the life histories of a butterfly and a grasshopper. Explain how they are different. Raise a butterfly or a moth from a caterpillar.
Bugbios - http://www.bugbios.com/index.html
Insect Zoo Cam - http://184.108.40.206/msie.html
Raising Butterflies and Moths - http://www.butterflyschool.org/teacher/raising.html
Worksheet - http://www.mbcenter.org/pub/ws/ws_insectstudy.pdf