Printed from the Merit Badge Center, Philippines - http://www.meritbadge.org.ph/
- Before doing the other requirements, swim 100 yards using any stroke, then rest by floating as still as you can for one minute.
- Show that you know safety rules for boating or sailing.
- Secure a permit to operate a motorboat if needed. Explain the laws affecting pleasure boating in your area.
- Show that before going in a boat, you know the features or hazards of the body of water to be cruised.
- Explain the rules of the sea lanes. Describe aids to navigation used where you cruised.
- Examine the condition, and demonstrate the proper use of the following safety gears.
- Lifesaving device for each person on board
- Fire extinguisher
- Oars of paddles
- Tool kit
- Extra shear pin and spark plugs
- Horn, whistle, or other sound signals
- Anchor and line
- Safety chain (for outboard motor)
- First aid kit
- Bilge pump or similar device that can be used for bailing.
Boating Safety - http://www.boatingsafety.com/
BSA Safe Swim Defense/Safety Afloat Online Training - http://www.scouting.org/pubs/aquatics/index2.html
Fire and Extinguishers - http://www.firstalert.com/home_safety/fire_extinguishers/facts.htm
How to Use a Compass - http://www.learn-orienteering.org/old/
Orienteering - BSA Troop 780 - http://www.bsatroop780.org/skills/Orienteering.htm
USCG Boating Safety - http://www.uscgboating.org/
Compass Reading - /pub/pdf/notes_compass.pdf
Worksheet - http://www.mbcenter.org/pub/ws/ws_boating.pdf